Subject: Library binding styles

Library binding styles

From: Ella Harsin <cn.eah>
Date: Tuesday, May 5, 1992
Re: the flex hinge, wide joint and flat back.
In my previous position (Head of Binding and Finishing at Stanford
Libraries), we decided to try this type of binding when it was offered
by our binder in about 1982.  We also discouraged the heavy use of
oversewing.  It worked fine on all periodicals for us, and we also
authorized it for many new heavyweight paperbacks. It was not used on
rebinds or recases if originally rounded and backed, or on special
collections materials, which were not handled in a standard way.  I can
not remember ever seeing a volume which had to be returned for
correction because of the hinge/joint or a flat back cased in that
style.  I also think that they worked better than rnd. and bk for
materials sewn-thru-the fold.  There was one book tumble tested for
many, many hours (I forget how long).  The pages were all curled up like
an old phone book but all of the pages were still firmly attached (it
was a sew-thru-fold) and the joints, hinge and covers looked great!

                    Distributed: Friday, May 8, 1992