Subject: Tipping in bookplates

Tipping in bookplates

From: Lisa Mibach <starwind>
Date: Saturday, May 2, 1992
(query: is 15% the norm in libraries too?)
On the basis of inadequate evidence (thus indicating the congecture of
an administrator rather than a pure conservator) it would appear that
you have stumbled on the secret of life: yup, cold vs. warm rollers (=
cold vs. warm glue). We all flow better when warmed up. Has to do with
how excited your molecules are.  Or so Monty Python would say.

p.s. mes felicitations on your opus on the subject of CDROM disk
longevity! As we say on AOL, LOLOLOL!

Especially the proposal for the Archive of Non-Useable Information
(ANUI) (or is this ENNUI?). But don't we already have tons of these
non-readables in archives?  So now we collect and accession the machines
to read the info we aren't sure we want; then we have to hire
technicians to maintain the machines...since we don't have Commies to
kick around anymore, whose plot is this?

At the conference on "Preserving the 20th Century" (honest! I didn't
make it up) last fall in Ottawa, the folks at the National Library of
Canada had some interesting things to say about the tendency of stable
magnetic media to part company from the stable polyester substrate (is
it still considered stable if it won't stick?), thus making all those
kilometers of audiotapes unplayable...they have developed a technical
test for determining which tapes are developing this problem: I believe
it consists of wrapping a piece of the tape 10 times around your finger
and seeing if little bits flake off...(let's hear it for low tech!)

If you don't have an adequate mole at the National Library of Canada,
you can contact David Gratton, Research Scientist, Canadian Conservation
Institute, 1030 Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A OM8 613-998-3721
for the author of the paper and/or to request the proceedings of the
conference when it/they are published.

Lisa Mibach

                    Distributed: Sunday, May 3, 1992