Subject: Terminology: soapstone, steatite, talc

Terminology: soapstone, steatite, talc

From: Lisa Mibach <starwind>
Date: Saturday, May 2, 1992
re: are  soapstone and steatite the same thing?
Talc (also known perversely as French Chalk, not to be confused with
whiting, or precipitated chalk) is magnesium silicate, and is, I think,
the primary component of soapstone; however, I would suggest asking a
mineralogist for the technical variations of mineral and stone
formations to get it straight...we art history types tend to be so
imprecise....

Lisa Mibach

                    Distributed: Sunday, May 3, 1992