Subject: Library binding styles

Library binding styles

From: Sara Williams <williams_s>
Date: Friday, May 1, 1992
I have just taken over responsibility for commercial binding here, and
would like some input concerning binding with the so-called "flex hinge"
endpapers, wide joint, and flat back.  I attended a presentation at the
last ALA Midwinter meeting, where the reps from ICI described this as a
great innovation.  As far as I could tell, the problems this kind of
binding was designed to correct only occur with oversewn volumes -- and
one of the things I intend to do here is reduce oversewing to a minimum.

Now my own commercial binder is trying to sell me this binding as a
great innovation and improvement for all bound volumes, regardless of
the kind of leaf attachment used.  Is this really the great leap forward
in library binding?  I'd like to hear from others who have used it.  How
does it hold up to circulation and use?

Sara R. Williams
Preservation Librarian
CU Boulder Libraries