Subject: Arrest in library

Arrest in library

From: Daniel Traister <traister>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1992
A telephone call this morning (Tuesday) from Philip Metzger, rare book
librarian at Lehigh University, has alerted me to the discovery early
today of CHARLES GLASER in the Lehigh University stacks, wearing
surgical gloves and carrying a hammer in a briefcase.  Mr. Glaser
alleged that he is researching early American history.  He was
identified through a passport in his possession.  The Bethlehem (PA)
police have apparently released him after questioning (no outstanding
warrants), deciding that there was some possibility that he had gained
access to the Lehigh stacks legally.

Mr. Glaser is, however, wanted for questioning in matters relating to
other library thefts by agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation,
who know him as Charles LYNN Glaser.  Mr. Glaser has a wide reputation
in his field. If he appears at your library, or if you know of his
current whereabouts, you might wish to contact Special Agent ROBERT
BAZIN at the Philadelphia (PA) FBI office (215 629 0800).  Whom I can
recommend to you warmly.

Daniel Traister, Curator of Special Collections
Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
215 898 7088 (phone); 215 898 0559 (fax)
traister [at] a1__relay__upenn__edu@in (e-mail)

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 25, 1992