Subject: Chicago flood

Chicago flood

From: Kathryn DeGraff <libkdg_at_orion>
Date: Monday, April 20, 1992
Floods in Chicago -  We at DePaul University maintain a Loop Campus and
a full Library.  Our bound periodicals, housed on the "Lower Level"
escaped water damage; however our two sub basements still contain water.
What that might mean as far as mold and/or vermin acquiring access to
collections, I can only guess, and wait and see.  Our priorities are
providing some level of library services to our students and faculty
until the pumping out is completed (they are saying two weeks), and then
the cleaning that will be needed to destroy the contamination of the
water that is becoming septic. We have to assume that the waters contain
rats as well. There has been little news as to other documents damaged
by the water.  City Hall staff removed all the vital records (birth,
marriage, death certificates) from the basement to the first floor; so
no recorded damage there.  Most of the buildings affected were retail or
commercial spaces.  I did see one news account that showed drivers
license applications being dried out.  I have had several helpful and
concerned calls from colleagues expressing similar sentiments.  The
priority until yesterday (Sunday) was to halt the flow of water.  That
has been accomplished.  Now the pumping out begins.  When that is done,
and the danger of contamination is over, the issue of repairing the
damage will begin.  If anyone else on this list has first hand
information, I would appreciate that as well.

                  Distributed: Monday, April 20, 1992