Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Terminology: wrappers, limp bindings

Terminology: wrappers, limp bindings

From: Colleen Heslip <bm.cxh>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1992
... [This question is from Elma Sanders, the fine arts editor at the Art
and Architecture Thesaurus ]

She has been working on the Documents Types hierarchy [of the AAT] which
includes books.  She had a specific question re. wrappers.  Here goes.
"Is there a difference between 'limp bindings' and 'wrappers' with
regard to books?  Does 'wrappers' imply some thing temporary or
unfinished?  Are wrappers attached, bound onto the text block?"

            **** Moderator's comments:   I'm not sure whether or not
            responses to these terminological questions should be sent
            privately to Colleen or posted to the DistList.  For the
            time being, use your own judgment and restraint.  If people
            don't complain, I'll post whatever comes in.

            To get it out of the way, and to save others the trouble,
            the RBMS thesaurus _Binding Terms_  gives

                        [A physically attached flexible cover for a
                        book. Cf. Dust Jacket]

                UF  Paper Wrappers
                NT  Cloth wrappers
                    Printed wrappers
                    Vellum wrappers
                RT  Limp Bindings

            NB it is pointed NOT:
                BT  Publishers' bindings

                  Conservation DistList Instance 5:51
                  Distributed: Friday, April 17, 1992
                        Message Id: cdl-5-51-005
Received on Friday, 17 April, 1992

[Search all CoOL documents]