Subject: Odor removal

Odor removal

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1992
Recently, Dina Schoonmaker asked about solutions for musty books and
problems with ALAO's suggestions.  I, too, have heard of various things
to use including kitty litter and charcoal, and have tried a few of
them. The kitty litter did not do anything, but there are so many brands
how's a preservation-aware consum er to choose?  Baking soda has worked
if the paper, etc., is fairly coarse, not heavily coated.  I did not put
anything in direct contact with the books but used a container filled
with the stuff and placed container and book in a close d paper bag for
a couple of weeks.  As I said, it works about half the time.

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 2, 1992