Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Beverly Allen <libbdb>
Date: Monday, March 30, 1992
I just heard a report which I can hardly believe, and that is that LC is
about to implement the Knogos company's system of EDS strips in LC's
Rare Books Division.  My informant tells me that LC tested a no. of
vendors' products and determined that while the adhesive used to affix
the metal strips caused permanent book stains, they still chose Knogos.
Do you know anything about this?  I wonder whether they are going to
place these in *truly* rare books or whether the information has been
garbled, and it is being done to a *non-rare* portion of the collection?
Or whether it's even being done at all?  The person who contacted me
(who wishes to be nameless at this point) is quite concerned, since this
report is being used as a justification for placing these strips in the
rare book collection at his university.  Thanks for any information you
can supply.

Beverly Allen
Emory University

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 31, 1992