Subject: Copyright

Copyright

From: Dina Schoonmaker <pschoonmaker>
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1992
missing/mutilated pages of titles owned by the library:  We have been
getting such pages through interlibrary loan for many years and our
experience is mixed.  First, the quality of the photocopies is often
bad, especially when dealing with colored illustrations or photo-
graphs.  However, we go on the assumption that bad quality, if legible,
is better than loss of information.  Secondly, we have had a hard time
getting the correct pages especially for journals such as Sports
Illustrated which do not number pages consistently.  For this particular
journal we have thrown up our hands in disgust and refused to continue
to tip in missing pages.

Dealing with missing or mutilated pages in books is easier and we
continue to either get the whole volume and photocopy ourselves directly
on to acid free paper those pages needed, or get the missing pages
through ILL and recopy them before tipping in.

There never was an official decision to follow these procedures, it just
seemed and seems logical to do so.

Dina SChoonmaker, Oberlin College Library, Oberlin, OH 44074

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 17, 1992