Subject: Copyright

Copyright

From: Patricia Palmer <pepalmer>
Date: Thursday, March 5, 1992
At the PADG in Atlanta 1991, copyright regulations and how they affect
the mutilation prevalent in our libraries.  My notes tell me that
copyright currently allows libraries to copy freely and insert
missing/mutilated pages in titles owned.  This can extend to copying an
entire issue of a serial volume, and to copying an entire book.  Do I
have these facts correct?

If this is correct, has anyone put this into practice?  I would like to
know whether or not efforts to replace damaged issues or books were
satisfactory and at what point in time and in the administration it was
decided this option could be exercised.

Patricia Palmer
pepalmer@vcuvax
Head, Preservation Services