Subject: Phased preservation Funding for preservation Preservation information in library catalogs

Phased preservation Funding for preservation Preservation information in library catalogs

From: Normandy Helmer <nhelmer>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 1992
Faced with a tightening budget and an expanding collection, we are
examining our preservation decision-making, to ensure the best use of
time and materials.  Has anyone had success (or failure) in:

1. Identifying materials to be repaired at a later date, and returning
them to patron availability in the interim?  (Phase boxes not included.)
Have you actually gotten around to repairing them?   What kinds of
material do you defer treatment on, what are the criteria used?   How do
you track those you've identified?  What mechanism keeps them out of
your workflow until you recall them?

2. Linking acquisition of materials to assured funding for the
preservation of those materials? For example, if the library purchases a
new serial subscription, does the binding budget go up correspondingly?
If the library commits to collecting certain types of materials which
have predictable preservation needs (brittle, bad paper, bad binding
techniques) can preservation funds be tied to the growth of such
collections?  If so, how do you figure the funds required, and how do
you "sell" the proposition to the acquisitors?

3.  Encoding preservation information in your online catalog?  What
kind of information?  Where do you put it?  What do you do with it?

Also, I'd like some opinions on which library schools have the best
preservation programs these days.  And finally, I would like to compare
notes on the mundane topic of call number labels: generation, software,
adhesive, stock, ink, etc.  Since this an inherently boring topic, those
with similar interests need not admit them publicly, but can drop me a
line direct.  Thanks.

Normandy Helmer
Catalog Dept., UO Library
University of Oregon