Subject: Theses and dissertations

Theses and dissertations

From: James Cartwright <jimc>
Date: Thursday, January 16, 1992
Recently some issues concerning unusual formats in theses and
dissertations surfaced in our department (Special Collections).  I'm
writing for some feedback from those of you who have had experience.

Specifically for theses/dissertations in fine arts, architecture, urban
and regional planning, etc. in which photographs, textiles, and other
essentially two-dimensional art works form part of the final work, we
have the following questions.  What has been the result of including
mounted art work within the binding?  Have any of your schools allowed
mounted art works and/or text on both sides of the sheet of paper?  When
such is allowed, what problems occur when mounts face each other?  When
mounted work faces printed text?  What remedies to these problems work:
i.e., interleaving and if so with what? What problems exist with
variations of paper weights for mounting stock and text paper?  Finally,
do any of you recommend a limitation on total thickness of a theses or
dissertation before requiring the work be split into two volumes or the
art work separated from the text and stored in an envelope or portfolio.

Thank you for your responses.

James F. Cartwright
University Archives
University of Hawaii