Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Inci Bowman <ibowman>
Date: Wednesday, January 15, 1992
I have found the discussion on mold eradication very interesting.  Those
of us who live on the Gulf coast are rather tuned to the problems of
mold.  We do not experience any mold infestation in the our library
because the relative humidity is maintained at about 50% year around.

The Honeywell electronic air filter is also installed in the homes. This
device is effective in removing dust, pollens, mold, bacteria and even
certain viruses.  But it also produces ozone at low levels.  Ozone is a
well known broncoconstrictor, and those individuals with respiratory
problems have to weigh the health benefits and disadvantages of an
electronic air cleaner at home.

I do not know how harmful ozone may be to library materials.  But I
certainly would not want to work around ozone generators.  If I had to,
I would try to measure the ozone levels carefully.  Ozone may be
hazardous to your health!

Inci Bowman, Moody Medical Library
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
409/772-2397

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 19, 1992