Subject: Marking CD's

Marking CD's

From: David Gilbert <stoprot>
Date: Monday, December 30, 1991
There has been extensive discussion of this issue on MLA-L, the mailing
list of the Music Library Association. Their archives are available from
LISTSERV@IUBVM. (A gentle reminder: sending a note or message to
MLA-L@IUBVM will be distributed to the entire membership of about 270.
Send your archive requests to LISTSERV, not MLA-L.)

As I recall, the consensus of opinion was that no marking was guaranteed
not to harm the CD, though many libraries were marking the clear inner
ring in some way.

    **** Moderator's comments:   In the horrifying eventuality that
    there is anyone out there who doesn't know how to search listserv
    databases, send me a message and I'll help you get started.

David Gilbert
Humanities Preservation Project
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Libraries

                Distributed: Saturday, January 11, 1992