Subject: Edge copiers

Edge copiers

From: Debra McKern <libdmk>
Date: Monday, May 22, 1989
I've been doing a lot of consulting with Oce and Xerox in the
development of their edge copiers in the last two years.  The results of
a survey of public service librarians were just published in LRTS.  I've
also been working with Howard White, Library Technology Reports, to
produce some comparative literature on the the five available models.  I
should have something ready for distribution at the ALA RTSD booth at
Dallas.  (Howard has arranged for the three vendors to exhibit their
edge copiers at the RTSD booth.)

Sally, I haven't had very good luck with the UCS people (makers of the
Selectec).  They announced the 1703RE last November and were supposed to
have it at exhibits at ALA Midwinter.  I was particularly concerned
because I planned to report on the status of edge copiers at the RLMS
Copying Committee.  They didn't have the machine there, nor did they
have any literature, but they claimed the copier would be available in
2-3 weeks.  Of course, it was the same with Xerox: they didn't have the
5042 there either.  The difference, though, is that Xerox followed up.
They had a huge press conference on March 1st, they made a videotape
describing its features, and they've sent out numerous mailings.  I've
contacted UCS several times since January & they keep reporting that it
will be ready "soon".  They finally called me last week to say it was
now available but they haven't sent any literature yet.

My other concern with UCS is that they do not provide direct service
contracts, which is very important to our Copy Service people here. You
have to get a MITA service rep.  It means there's less incentive because
it's not tied to sales, past or future.

Of the available models, I prefer the Oce.  It's the closest to a
90-degree angle; it's the sturdiest in terms of reliability and
tolerance of abuse; it has fewer "bells & whistles" which I think is
good for a public-use copier; it's faster than the others (45 cpm); the
lid is the best design of the three; the book support shelf is
adjustable; the contrast control has a wider range than the others; and
it provides security for the paper trays & internal parts without the
need for an additional access device.  And the students REALLY like the
Oces.  Sorry they're not serving Wisconsin.

I've also done some preliminary testing on the three for permanence of
image using the tape-pull test.  It's not conclusive, however, because
this was done on prototype machines.  I'll be able to get better results
at Dallas.

If anyone's interested in getting the announcement about the RTSD booth
to pass along to library staff attending ALA who might want to evaluate
edge copiers, let me know.  It hasn't been written or printed yet, but
I'm working on it.

                   Distributed: Friday, June 23, 1989