Subject: Spine tape

Spine tape

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <libhk>
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 1989
The people in the Law Library have two or more sets of of items. These
sets are stored on different floors.  In order to indicate to shelvers
which set goes on which floor, they use book tape to, yes, you guessed
it, COLOR CODE.

I regard the book tape as problematic for all of the traditional
reasons. (It will fall off, weakly attaching itself to something else,
but still attaching itself.  It leaves an "icky" residue on the spine
which accelerates the deterioration of the cloth beneath it. etc., etc.)

When books come in for repair (combat, rather than conservation), I have
been removing the tape, much to the exasperation of the Law Library.  I
remove the tape for a couple of reasons: it is incongruous with the
philosophies I attempt to promote about common sense preservation
efforts; it hinders the students' ability to clean the interior of the
old spine in prepraration for attaching it to the new piece of cloth.

Bobbie Chalfant once mentioned a 3M colored (?) tape to me which is the
lesser of the book cloth evil.  I don't recall the details of this
material, but if someone knows something, or has a suggestion I am all
ears.  Many thanks.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 16, 1989