Subject: Mass Deacidification

Mass Deacidification

From: Ellen McCrady <whenry>
Date: Thursday, May 4, 1989
This morning I spoke with Bob Wedinger of FMC Corporation for the
first time about FMC's new mass deacidification method.  He is
doing everything right, has a plant under construction (or will
have) that can do a million books a year, by December, is talking
to all the big people in conservation and preservation, and has
talked to everyone but me for the last 6 months.  How come I
always seem to be the 25th or 50th person to find out about the
really important news?

The people he has talked to include Barclay, John Baker, Richard
Frieder, Paul Banks, Susan Swartzburg, and people at Boston
Public Library, Princeton and elsewhere.  His process increases
the strength of the paper several times.  There will be an
advisory group, chosen from the client group, and testing will be
as thorough, appropriate and impartial as humanly possible.

Has anybody on the E-Mail grapevine heard about this?  He is
sending me material, so it will be in the next Abbey Newsletter.
I am interested in finding out how E-Mail can help me overcome
the lag between the period when a new development is widely known
among a good number of people and when I find out about it. I am
able to keep something quiet until the time comes to publish
something about it, but I need to know when something is coming
up, because I am getting calls for information from people who
are making important decisions.

    **** Moderator's comments:   Remember: To send mail to ellen,
    make the first line
    FORWARD: Ellen McCrady and mail to