Subject: Integrated Pest Management

Integrated Pest Management

From: Ellen McCrady <whenry>
Date: Tuesday, March 21, 1989
This morning I talked to Tom Parker, the entomologist who gained
fame by eliminating LC's lice in the reading room last year.  He
specializes in integrated pest management (IPM) for cultural
institutions, and has been doing this since 1975.  When I heard
this, I got that neglected feeling (again--I like to play the
martyr) and wondered why nobody ever tells me anything.  He had a
news item on NPR about a job he did at the U Miami Library.  The
announcer said he simply freezed the bugs at 0 degrees F for
three days.  I asked him if that was all the colder it had to
get, and he said YES, and cited Mary Lou Florian.  He will send
me info about how he sets up IPM programs that are easily
monitored by staff, with occasional help of an outside
consultant.  He is at

    Pest Control Services Inc.
    14 E. Stratford Ave.
    Lansdowne PA 19050

I have also been following up on something John DePew told me
earlier this month in Washington about a heat pipe that gives
superior RH control in hot humid climates.  I have talked with
the manufacturer/distributor (who is a scientist) and talked
with one of the customers at length.
    **** Moderator's comments:   A portion of Ellen's message,
    concerning the advantages of the system, was garbled in
    transmission The big advantage is the huge savings in
    Newsletter.

The company is

    Dinh Co.
    PO Box 999,
    Alachua, FL 32615
    (904/462-3464).

The catch is that you need a steady power supply and it needs to
be hooked onto an air conditioner or HVAC.  It wouldn't work for
American Samoa, which has an undependable power supply, but it
would in LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL, not to mention much of Latin
America.

                 Distributed: Saturday, March 25, 1989