Subject: Getty email system

Getty email system

From: Walter Henry <whenry<-a>
Date: Sunday, December 11, 1988
When I was at GCI for Debbie Hess Norris' photo conservation course, I
had a chance to talk with John Perkins, head of the Conservation
Information Network (I forget his real title) about the future of their
electronic mail system.  I am happy to report that they are very serious
about improving the situation.  They are planning to replace Envoy 100
(which is archaic and so expensive as to preclude its use for anything
more involved than short 'telegrams') with a system of there own.  I
suggested that they run the email system on the front end computer (a
smaller system that sits in 'front' of the Ottawa mainframe and handles
things like terminal communications) so that mail activity could be
handled at much lower cost.  John was very receptive, and reassured me
that whatever form it might take, a serious, fully functional mail
system is a very high priority for them.  A connection to Bitnet (well
actually NetNorth, the Canadian version of Bitnet) is also a definite
possibility.

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 11, 1988