Subject: File distribution

File distribution

From: Walter Henry <xb.k98<-a>
Date: Sunday, September 18, 1988
On 9/6/88 Robert Writes:
>... I am using Kermit.  This is actually great
>to know because it means I can send any document that I save
>as a "text only" file, which opens up lots of
>possibilities--if I have something worth sharing and if
>someone is actually interested in it.

It's rather uncanny that you mentioned this.  I was just
gearing up to writing a thing for the distlist suggesting
that we make available to eachother textfiles that might be
of general interest.  we all spend a great deal of time
writing things like specifications, evaluations of
processes, course notes, and other documents that could be
of some use outside our own institutions.  If these things
were prepared on a machine, it is no big deal to send them
over the net. If people are interested, I would be glad to
store such docs and handle requests for dissemination.  Or
we could simply announce availability via the distlist.  If
there were very enthusiastic interest in this, we could even
set up a server (an account running a special program to
handle file requests), but that's probably for the future
(altho we might be able to use listserv for this).  If you
don't object, I'll save myself the trouble of writing that
bit, and simply post this discussion in the next DistList.

So, if you have some text you would like to share, make sure
it's a vanilla ascii file (i.e. use your word processor's
Save Ascii / Save Plain Text / Save Unformatted command),
and email it to me with a note to indicate you want it made
available for distribution.  If it isn't really obvious, you
might also include a short description.  Note: I won't
simply distribute it to the entire list unless you tell me
to.  Rather, I will post a note about its availability in
the next DistList.

To prime the pump, I'd like to offer two things I wrote this
year: a largish outline on Disaster Response (focused on
physical handling) and also a largish bibliography on
disasters.  Send requests via email (btw: hardcopy available
only in hardship cases).  [The bibliography is *very* long,
and in order to cut down on network load, I would prefer to
send this offline, via floppies, but email is also possible.
Be sure to specify disk format (Mac people or 3.5 inch DOS
people, be patient and please send me a disk, as I don't
stock them; people with 5.25 inch disks (DOS and Cp/M) don't
need to bother sending disks (there cheap these days))].

In addition any of the files I have already sent are
available, as are all distributions of the Cons DistList,
past and future.  The FileList is appended here for you
convienience.

  FileList
  Last Revision: Sat  09-17-1988
  The following files are available.  Send request via email
      only to:
  Files:
      1. FileList
         a) Description: List of files available from
              xb.k98@stanford (ie the list you are reading
              now)
      2. Questionnaire
         a) Description: New user email questionnaire
      3. Conservation Directory
         a) Description: Cons email directory.
      4. Newuser
         a) Description: Info for new people on the net
         b) Subjects
            1) Passwords, Security etc.
            2) Networks
               a> Bitnet
               b> The Internet
               c> Alanet
      5. Userhelp
         a) Bitnet Info file
      6. Bitstuff
         a) Description: Bitnet info file.
         b) Subjects
            1) Very simple discussion of Bitnet topology.
      7. Year1.dst
         a) Description: Best of Cons DistList, Oct. 1987 -
              June, 1988
         b) Subjects
            1) pH meters
               A binding problem
               Krause board shears
               Anti-static sprays
               Paste Strainers
               Lab construction:  shelving, cabinets, etc.
               Binder's press
               Polyvinyl acetate: Elvace 1874
               Taylor Total Hardness Kit
               Equipment: photographic, board shears, type,
                 microscopes
               Vellum sources
         c) Queries
            1) pH meters
               A binding problem
               Krause board shears
               Anti-static sprays
               Paste Strainers
               Lab construction:  shelving, cabinets, etc.
               Binder's press
               Polyvinyl acetate: Elvace 1874
               Equipment: photographic, board shears, type,
                 microscopes
               Vellum sources
      8. 88-06-28.DST
         a) Description: Cons DistList