Subject: Drying racks Schimanek board shear

Drying racks Schimanek board shear

From: Roberta Chalfant <chalfant<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 1988
I decided to pass along some information on drying racks that Jan Paris
and I have learned recently and ask for opinions on a board shear.

First the drying racks.  Wilder-Gram Mfg, Co, Inc, Mechanic St & Erie
RR, Port Jervis, NY  1277l (914)856-5188 will modify one of their pan
and tray racks (Kay Dee) so that it is 30x33.  The runners are 33" long
and the rack is 30" wide.  Because there is nothing blocking the back
you could put in a screen 30x40 with only a 3 l/2" overhang on the front
and back.  Modern Food Equipment, 6ll Ferry St, PO Box 387, New Haven,
CT 06513-0387, Paul Vincent (sorry haven't got the phone #) made a rack
for the Yale Center of British Art last July that is 30x40". The Kay Dee
rack is 69" high the space between runners is 3", there are 20 runners
and the rack is all aluminium and on rubber casters. You can order it
assembled which means it is welded together or you can assemble it
yourself (l5 minutes, its bolted togehter).

Now as to the drying screens.  Does anybody have a great idea?  And what
materials are you using--wood frame, aluminum frame, size of screening
and attachment to frame?

    **** Moderator's comments:   For the past 8 years, we;ve been using
    some custom made screens, maybe 2 X 3 feet and about 1/2 inch thick
    (I'm at home now and can't check), constructed from lightweight
    aluminum framing material and fiberglass screening.  They've been
    used moderately heavily and have never caused any problems. Zero
    maintanence and no problems with pattern-transfer, staining etc.
    They were built by a local guy who does window screens and he
    charged $5 each (that's not a typo) in quantities of about 20.  We
    did a batch order with a few other people. I've liked these much
    better than

Sherry Byrne at the University of Chicago is looking to buy a board
shear and received information on a Schimanek Type 10 Board Cutting
Machine.  Lenght 110 or 130 cm, cast iron work table, narrow clamp bar,
complete lay gauge and narrow strip cutting device.  The price quote was
4,175 British pounds for the 110 and 5,389 British pounds for the 130
cm. Has anybody used this brand or know anything about it.

All information greatly appreaciated.

Bobbie Chalfant

                Distributed: Sunday, September 18, 1988