Subject: Japanese paper sources

Japanese paper sources

From: Walter Henry <xb.k98<-a>
Date: Monday, August 15, 1988
One of the wonderful things about the net is the opportunity to vent
one's spleen in semi-public and, if fortunate, save others from whatever
grief inspired the spleen ventation in the first place.

Recently we ordered several sheets (about 75 dollars worth) of Japanese
paper from Washi no Mise in NY, since their samples looked nice, and
since we figured, after all this time of dealing with conservators they
probably had their act reasonably together.  Well about a week ago the
stuff arrived rolled in a thin crushed cardboard tube with an inner
diameter of about 1.5 inches.  To make matters worse, there was no
wrapping around the paper and it was jammed in so tight that the only
way to get at it was to cut away the tube.  The paper was mangled beyond
all usefulness.

I asked our purchasing people to talk with them about this and she was
told a) they would take it back but would not replace it b) the only way
they would replace it was if someone would come to NY and pick it up.
Our purchasing person (who has never been at all thin-skinned) said the
person at Washi no Mise was "very rude and not at all professional."

If anyone has had dealings with Washi no Mise, why not share your
experience with the rest of us?  And if anyone has a good vendor of
quality Japanese papers to recommend, by all means, out with it.

walter
{"Just saying it could even make it happen"}

                  Distributed: Monday, August 15, 1988