Subject: Elvace

Elvace

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <libhk<-a>
Date: Friday, February 19, 1988
Shortly after I finished mailing you PVA part 2, I received a phone call
from Sara Bertalan, the Mellon Fellow at the National Gallery in paper
conservation about the note in the Abbey.  So...... I broke down and
called Ellen.  Hopefully, we straightened this thing out, and she if
going to follow up on it in the next newsletter.  She was mainly
concerned with skin contact and use when heated, etc.  What we agreed is
that knowledge was needed on how info in the spec sheet applies to
conservation, that is, non-industrial use.  I know I interpreted the
precautions as relating to industrial use, which, in fact may be a
serious error.  Ellen was sorry she was fuzzy about the info and does
intend to follow up on it.  I really can't ask for more than that.

hilary,

re pva: why do I disbelieve your protests that you never use pva
anywhere questionable?  how about attaching new cloth in a  cloth case
rebacking?  how about reattaching spines in a leather rebacking? how
about, how about....

actually the only person Ive ever met who actually doesnt use pva  more
than he admits is tom conroy, who seems able to make anything stick to
anything else with paste.  one suspects a pact with old nobodaddy there.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988