Subject: Elvace

Elvace

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <LIBHK<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 1988
Apologies for the exasperating tone of PVA and Life Part 1. I was
anxious to get back to you because it had been so long, but I wrote
yesterday's note at the end of a very long day, and working 11 hours
that includes a working lunch did not help.  After a good night's sleep
I can probably be more relaxed and informative.  Under storage,
Reichhold notes (an I quote): Protect from freezing.  Ideal storage
temperature is 72 degrees F.  Stability is more than 180. (End of
quote).  How much more than 180 days????  I believe Talas will tell you
it only has a reliable shelf life for 6 months (90 days).

I agree that we should be more concerned with a shelf life than the pH.
I don't use PVA directly on anything of artifactual value and think
mostly of its use on areas which do not come in contact with the
artifact or in constructing protective enclosures.  You can buy 5 gallon
drums and divide it up amongst your friends.  Another aspect of
cooperative cooperation.

I am always interested in pertinent literature, so I would also be
interested in receiving copies of the same.

I've got to run.  Have a meeting with bindery prep.  Talk to you  soon.
H.

    **** Moderator's comments:   hilary, re: pva one little bit of that
    eva business slipped by me: that 3ppm tlv is a tad disturbing (or
    was that a typo?).  granted a low vp, but if the tlv is based on
    residual vinyl monomer, Id be a bit disturbed.  I will sick the
    health and safety folks on it and will let you know what they come
    up with.  until then, live dangerously. ( **** Moderator's comments:
    Sat  08-27-1988: they still havent called back with the info, so Im
    assuming they weren't overly concerned).

    I am more or less ok just now, having just finished (just now) a Big
    Outline (which is, (after the paper conservation outline on sizing,
    which is In the Last Stages) becoming my format of choice these
    days) on disaster response and a bibliography on disasters for some
    conference that Im not even going to (please dont ask me why I do
    these things)).

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988