Subject: Pamphlet binding style

Pamphlet binding style

From: Walter Henry <xb.k98<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1988
hilary,

 >The law library receives newsletter similar in format to the AIC
 >newsletter, that is, pamphlet style (no single sheets), all
 >single gatherings which arrive at various intervals throughout
 >the year.  Up until now these volumes have been wire bound.
 >Holes are drilled through the entire group of newsletters
 >(sometimes up to 3 inches thick) and wire is threaded through
 >pamphlet style boards.  To cover the wire, book tape has been
 >used.

Not much of a suggestion, but one of our technicians mentioned
Handi-binding, a method we sometimes use here, rather against all our
better judgements.  This is essentially a drill that drives a hole-punch
sized hole through a stack of newsletters (e.g.) and then drives a
polyethylene(?) rod through the hole and through pre-made (commercially)
pam-binders.  Opening is of course miserable, but it is at least
non-adhesive and reversible, sort of. The volume is easily taken apart,
but the holes remain. Requires a substantial margin, but many
newsletters seem to have adequate margins for it.  Obviously not for
materials of permanent value. w

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988