Subject: Wood and other construction materials

Wood and other construction materials

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <libhk<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 1988
Hurray!!! We have gotten to the stage of talking with carpenters about
building us a lab (utility sink cabinets, work benches, supply
stations). I would like to know if anyone has any strong feelings about
good woods and bad woods, types of sealants, or things to look out
for...the kind that go bump in the night.  I know that certain woods
(notably oak) are not highly thought of for exhibition cases because of
formaldehyde and other noxious by-products, but is this a genuine
concern for storing boards, and other materials on a medium-term basis?
What are the alternatives and are the costs prohibitive?

All thoughts on this matter are encouraged and welcome.

Many thanks, H.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988