Subject: Museum and Archives Supplies Handbook Pamphlet binding style

Museum and Archives Supplies Handbook Pamphlet binding style

From: Maria Grandinette <Maria_Grandinette<-a>
Date: Friday, January 15, 1988
Hi Hilary,

Handbook published by the Ontario Museum Association and Toronto Area
Archivist Group lists Talas as a source for paste strainers. I checked
the catalogue to verify. I don't know a thing about the quality, we
bought ours from Aiko's years ago...The only other place I could think
of was Washi-no-mise, I have no idea if they are still in business, our
last correspondence with them was in 83, at that time they did not list
paste strainers as one of their products, but who knows, it might be
worth giving them a try.  The address is R.D. 3, Kennet Square,PA 19438.

I'm assuming that you are looking for a new way to house the Law Library
newsletters, not a way to deal with the ones that have already been wire
bound...No great solutions here, if it's something that needs to be done
one or two times a year why don't you consider sewing them? I
particularly like Hedi Kyle's Bristol Binding for a fast simple multiple
signature binding.  I often use that style for my own notebooks and know
from experience that they hold up to wear and tear. Directions for the
binding are given in Hedi's book Library Materials Preservation Manual
beginning on page 137...Our person in Bindery Preparations tells me that
our commercial binder will sew through the fold, something 2 inches
thick, 8 1/2 x 11, for $7.10.  I imagine that would be pretty hard to
beat. I'd be sure to check with Randy Silverman, if he hasn't
volunteered information on his own. They have a very active book repair
unit out there in Utah. Good Luck. Let us know how things work out.
Maria

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988