Subject: pH meters

pH meters

From: Robert Espinosa <rje<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 1987
We have recently investigated the new pH meters & discussed our pH needs
with Jim Osmun, a representative of Orion Research Company, makers of pH
kits & accessories.  The development of digital pH meters, the
improvements in accuracy & reproducibility in these meters & the
development of a new electrode all contribute to major advances in
taking pH measurements. We were impressed with the relatively
inexpensive pH meter that seemed to meet all our potential needs & more.
This was the Orion model SA250 portable pH /mv temperature meter (for
active environments)(that's us!).  It includes automatic temperature
compensation & is pre-programmed to automatically in buffers at pH 4, 7,
& 10.  It is accurate to 0.01 pH units & comes complete with electrode,
carrying case, accessories and instruction manual. The Ross electrode is
a new development in electrodes. The manufacture model # is 8135BN and
the catalog # in American Science is H4100-14.

We ordered the meter through American Science & were able to substitute
the above electrode for the one normally supplied with the meter.  We
got all of these items and a free promotional item, a nice benchtop
stand for the low, low price of $495. There are many inherent problems
with reading pH from the surface of paper and these were underscored in
our visit with Mr. Osmun. However, for taking pH measurements--whatever
they might mean--this is a very nice metering system.

We will send you more information in the near future. Hope all is well,
sorry we haven't been answering our mail. (yes, we are here) but we have
been having technical difficulties.

robert

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 17, 1988