New archives building construction,fwd

FYI from the ARCHIVES listserv

Date:    Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:31:34 -0800
From:    Jim Moore <moorejd@CC.WWU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Reference on Buildings

The best basic manual on new archives building construction that I have
seen is SOLID, SAFE, SECURE:  BUILDING ARCHIVES REPOSITORIES IN
AUSTRALIA by Ted Ling (National Archives of Australia), ISBN 0 642
34403 5, 1998.

Most of the information in the book would have well informed plans for a
new building we constucted in 1992-3.

Quoting from the preface, "The book is written with the intention of
providing a reference source for archivists, particularly those faced for
the first time with coordinating the construction of a major facility on
behalf of their archives.  It addresses many issues and, while it does not
pretend to provide all the answers, it does aim to tell you some of the
matters of which you should be aware and the type of questions that
you should be asking architects, engineers and builders."

Jim Moore
Washington State Archives

Chris Anglim wrote:

Texas Greetings to All,

I am new to the list. I am in the process of designing a new facility for a
new archives. I need assistance in terms of planning to build a facility for
this archives, which would be an  addition to an existing library. I have
some of the SAA publications and have gone through journals such as
the American Archivist. Any suggestions in terms of books, articles,
newsletters, individual experience would be very much appreciated.

 Thank you,

 Chris Anglim
 chrisanglim@netscape.net