Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

Jim and Alyssa,

Just curious to know if you have already discussed the fact that AIT is
ME tape
while LTO is MP tape?

Regards,
George McBride

Jim Wheeler <Jimwheeler@aol.com> on 05/29/2003 09:53:37 AM

Please respond to AV-Media-Matters@topica.com

To:   AV Media Matters <AV-Media-Matters@topica.com>
cc:    (bcc: George McBride/Maxell)

Subject:  Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and
Video-ReallyBigPost

Alyssa

DAT is in a world by itself so don't compare DAT with DataTapes.  I have
not
heard of any problems with LTO, Gold CDs, Gold DVDs, or HDDs made by one
of
the "big three".  I believe all of these are reliable.

MO has not been popular because of the pricetag.  As a result, there are
not
very many units in use.  I do not recommend a format/medium that has a
small
market-share.  Blu-ray will have the same problems as CDs and DVDs but
Gold
Blu-rays should be reliable.

Richard Hess mentioned the Sony S-AIT which is a possibility.  This is a
new
format so I don't recommend it until it has been in use for a year or
two.
www.sony.com/datasystems

I do not recommend low-density stone carving.

BEST!

Jim Wheeler

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org