Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

Hi Jim,

AIT over DLT was suggested to me by the Eastern Canada sales rep. at Lacie, who seems to think it is more reliable than DLT. When (if) it comes down to my spending the $1000 for the drive, I will look into this more thoroughly. But basically, seems some kind of data tape is what I am leaning toward.

I guess I'm leaning toward tape, because I just don't see other options presented to me that I would trust. Mind you, I have heard that MO is very reliable, but I can't seem to get too much information on it these days; though there seems to be a new MO format coming out with a larger capacity (Ultra Density Optical - UDO). Also, the question will be, will MO be so marginally used that hardware and media will be an issue - and when?

What it boils down to for me is:

I don't trust CDs. I have had too many problems with them over the years. I also just had a stint at the National Library of Canada transferring their CD collection (one offs; some of the Gould material that had been previously transferred from tape, etc.) onto hard disk (server), and that only reinforced my views on CDs being indeed enticingly shiny creatures, but not ones I trust. I admit that I haven't _yet_ had problems [that I have found] with my personal collection of the HHB Golds. I especially don't like that the surface is exposed on CDs - maybe that Blu-ray will improve the matter, but I am still skeptical, and remain to be convinced.

Leaving things on a hard drive stored away doesn't seem to be considered desirable either.

So where does that leave me? Back to tape. I have had a miserable time over the years with drop outs on DATs, so I admit I am still nervous about data tapes. That's where my friend came in, who has restored many many data tapes over the years with audio on them. He told me he recently pulled some audio that had been sitting on a tape for 10 years without a hitch. One person does not a trend make, but my colleague has a huge library of original sound effects, that have been collected over the past 25+/- years, and are constantly drawn upon.

Plus the computer industry in general seems to find tape backup their media of choice, and speaking with IT friends of mine, their thoughts also consistently point toward tape.

I guess what it comes down to for me is that none of it seems like a good idea. How about a chisel and a rock with some 0's and 1's?

Best,

Alyssa.