Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

Eric

I felt the same way about Hard Disk Drives a couple of years ago.  Last
year,
I discovered that they can be dropped from several feet and still be
okay
although I'm not going to try the test on my HDD.

The problem with videotape is that the machines that can record
uncompressed
video cost over $60,000 and the tape is expensive.  That fact has caused
me to
shift to HDDs and DataTapes.

HDDs can store as much as 320 GB on a single disk and DataTapes can
store as
much as 200 GB.  NTSC video (plus audio) requires about 128 GB for a one
hour
NTSC TV program.

I have always recommended that archives maintain two copies of all of
their
material because no high-density media is totally foolproof.  Whether or
not
the two copies are the same or a different format/media is a seperate
issue.

Jim Wheeler

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org