[AV Media Matters] SOS

Please forward to other appropraite recipients.

Many of us watched the "Save Our Sounds" program on the History Channel last night.

78-C and, even more, though I don't allow this list in my house, 78-L, have a great many comments regarding this show.  Some reflect genuine concerns with the show, others a genuine misunderstanding of what the show was about.  In some cases, the latter are not genuine, as the respondents are berating the program for it not being about what they wanted it to be about.

There were, however, some genuine howlers.  The most glaring is the McKinley issue.  There is considerable published research on this issue.  Victor's version was recorded by Hooley, 10/26/01 as "Portions of the Last Speech of President McKinley.  October, 1901 marked the introduction of the flat disc by Columbia at Catalog Number 1.  The records are not dubs of cylinders.  They are listed as Columbia 639, both 7" and 10", first as "McKinley Memorial," including his last speech, Lead, Kindly Light (no reason for this if he were still healthy) and the earliest take is announced as John Kaiser (Brooks, p. 136).  Later issues and remakes call it "McKinley's Last Speech." Matrix numbers were assigned sequentially.  This could not have been recorded until sometime in 1902.  The film shoes a Silvertone rotating while this topic is being discussed.  That's probably a Columbia matrix, certainly not a Victor.

There was no such thing as a portable flat disc recorder that early.

There is no advertising of this as a real recording event, which would certainly have been the case if it had been McKinley.  Besides, did Columbia go to McKinley and say, "We know you will be shot tomorrow, so make this record for posterity today?"

There WAS a Bryan cylinder from 1896, at least advertised- I have a photocopy.  Does anyone have this?

Leaving out the uncoated aluminum discs to bridge 1930-1935 was an error. I have worked on a National Legion Convention from October 6, 1930, very many sides, recorded in a hotel in Boston.  The completes et (mine was missing some parts) included addresses by Pershing (2), Coolidge, Hoover- a long address, and other speakers of interest.  I'm sure there are earlier aluminums, possibly going back to late 1929.

The lacquer coated aluminum disc was introduced in the US at the NAB show in late September, 1935.  It then took a while for people to order them, manufacture them, pay for them and install them.  The New York Philharmonic issued dubs of a set at NYPL from, I think, October, 1935, but they are gelatin, have no internal base and are dish warped.

The big mystery may be a film editing error.  John Howell shows a couple of cylinders covered with a white  substance.  This may be cotton, mold or fungus.  It was implied he was able to obtain a satisfactory copy from these.  The film did not state otherwise.

If he was successful, we should be so informed.  Otherwise, some private collectors are discarding what are savable materials.  Even if John doesn't want to tell how.....

Steve Smolian

===================== ====
Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios