[AV Media Matters] DVD Status

1) Wondering if anyone wants to share 2c on DVD burners - good choices
on bundles for PC, good support, etc.  I have read the mags; they seem
to conflict or not say much.  What format is smartest -R +R?  I use
Premiere, work with miniDV, and push to VHS.  But, would like to edit
and push to DVDs or just do tape to disk transfers as needed.  Nothing
too formal.

2) Wondering what's the most economical way to transfer from film (home
movies) to tape.  Just building an image box for the camera and
camcorder to display & record image; and build a sound box with remote
mic?  I have to transfer quite a bit.

Thanks,

Larry