[AV Media Matters] Containers for long-term storage of media

Friends,

What would be the ramifications of storing large numbers of videotape,
audiotape, data tape in fire-proof containers/safes over the longterm?
(Apart from the great expense involved). I am thinking of the 125 degree

2-hour rated type.

I have long assumed (and must have read somewhere in the past) that the
off-gassing from the media, as well as the possibility of increasing
already resident mold in older tapes, makes this proposition not good,
even detrimental, for long-term viability of tape media. Due in part to
the lack of circulation and refreshment of the air in these necessarily
air-tight containers. (I assume the same would also be true, perhaps
even more so, for film media of all types.)

Is this in fact true?

Is there any test data on this, or hard-won experiential reports among
you all or that you could point me to about this?

Can someone explain in more technical detail why doing this would or
would not be recommended.

Thanks.

Scott Campbell
Director of Archives