RE: [AV Media Matters] New Test Results

I live in NJ and my mail goes through the same distribution center that
process the famous anthrax letters ( by the way, the distribution center
is
still closed.  They haven't figure out how to decontaminate it. Mail is
currently being distributed through a "temporary" distribution center)
There was huge backlog of mail ( over 800,00 pieces) that were in the
building when the anthrax was discovered that was eventually delivered
after
being decontaminated by an "Irradiation"  process.  Judging by the
processed
mail I received ( sealed in plastic bags with warnings printed on it) I
believe they are using some kind of microwave radiation which can
generate a
fair amount of heat.  All the envelopes had a "toasted" look to them and
were very brittle.  Any plastic showed signs of severe heat stress.  I
received replacement credit cards that were severely discolored, and
unusable. The raised numbers and letters had melted back into the flat
surface.
I also work at ABC-TV in NYC and we had one incident of anthrax
contamination here when the child of a person working in the News dept.
developed a case of cutaneous anthrax ( curiously, the source was never
found. no threatening letters were ever sent here)  As a result, all
incoming mail is now irradiated.  And again, all the mail has a toasted
look.  Any data CD's or floppies show signs of severe heat stress.
Again, I
believe they are using microwave radiation not alpha, beta or gamma type
radiation.
This may not be very scientific but I though it would be of interest.

Charles Repka

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org