[AV Media Matters] CD labelling

Please excuse if this has been covered before, but what kind of
labelling do people recommend for the (non-data) surface of CD-R
disks destined for archival preservation?  I refuse to use those
stick-on ones--I've seen a couple of nasty messes inside CD readers
when the glue broke down or just didn't work or whatever.  The CD-R
surface won't take such things as conventional ball-point, so I've
been using a Staedtler Lumocolor permanent pen.  It takes to the
surface, but I wonder how stable it is over time, whether it might
flake or give off damaging gasses.  I'm assuming nothing untoward is
likely to happen in the medium term, but I wonder about the
long-term effects.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

From
Mr Francis Good
Archivist (Oral Records)
Northern Territory Archives Service