From: joe salerno [mailto:salernoj@swbell.net]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 12:04 PM
To: AV Media Matters
Subject: [AV Media Matters] dying film

I just came into possession of some additional family footage on regular
8MM. Some of it is sad and appears beyond repair to me. The outer layers are
wrinkled, curved, barreled. Just about any kind of film distortion you can
think of it is. Is there any process for restoring it to projectable
condition so it can be transferred?

It's all vinegar-y, and there is at least one reel that is broken down so
bad that I don't have any hopes for it. It is a light brown color, has white
flaky specs on it like severe dandruff. I've never seen film this
deteriorated, but now I understand how a can can be opened and literally
nothing remains on the reel save for some dust.

Yes, I know, if it isn't too late, get it off the metal reels and out of the
metal cans that it has been stored in for over 50 years.

Sorry for the cross posting, some of you will get this twice.

Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405
http://joe.salerno.com