[AV Media Matters] Microcassettes

Thanks to everyone for your comments on CD dupilication equipment!

On another topic, I'm starting to conduct preservation transfers with a
large number of oral history interviews recorded on microcassette and
wanted to see if other members of the listserv have found solutions to
some of these issues.

We have several Olympus portable recorder/players to use for playback
but I am wondering if anyone has used a machine that offers greater
fidelity (don't laugh). I get the impression that among the various
models that are on the market, there is little difference in the tape
heads and motors they employ.  I am considering using a microcassette
transcription model as it provides pitch control. Another consideration
is finding a device with a audio output other than a headphone jack.

The final issue I wanted to throw out, is has anyone been able to find a
microcassette shell that uses screws? With damaged cassettes we will
need to open them up. It would be nice to move the repaired tape to a
new shell without having to glue the old shell back together.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Moderators Comment:
We have an incredible machine here for Microcassettes. It is made by JBR
Technologies and really designed for forensic work. It is extremely
expensive - but it has all sorts of features and is the best I have seen or
heard of for this format.

Steven Weiss
Sound and Image Librarian
Southern Folklife Collection