Re: RE: [AV Media Matters] F1 format PCM tape deterioration

Shubha,

For transfer, the preferred device is the one with the digital
output--was it the 701? I'm not sure of the number. Keep looking for
one on eBay and rec.audio.pro.

Short of that, I suspect that most contemporary A-to-D converters
will far surpass the F1's D-to-A converters, sadly. I think
bypassing these early D-to-A converters should be a goal. The tape I
referred to was made through an analog connection of F1-type
processor to DAT machine.

Wondering out loud: Anyone know how to find a signal inside an F1
and convert it to SPDIF??? Someone might have found a mod like that.

As an aside, current portable minidisks sound quite transparent and
I've done some analog-domain dubbing between minidisk and DAT and at
least on my reasonably-high-quality folk music material, experienced
listeners were hard pressed to tell the difference between the
original CD and the minidisk that had been produced by the following
path:

CD--dig-->MD--ana-->DAT--dig-->MD

Cheers,

Richard