  To: <A
  href="mailto:AV-Media-Matters@topica.com"; title=AV-Media-Matters@topica.com>AV
  Media Matters
  Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 6:16
  PM
  Subject: [AV Media Matters] HHB CDR800 /
  CDR830

  Just want to thank those who responded to my
  query about the HHB CDR830 and HHB CDR800.  I still have not located a
  supplier for a CDR800 other than eBay but have a few inquiries out.  It
  does appear that the CDR830 is a scaled back, low-cost "replacement" for the
  CDR800.  This appears to be yet another instance where the consumer
  marketplace determines what hardware is available at any given time, rather
  than the needs and concerns of audio archives.  I am a bit surprised
  though, since HHB seems well aware of the general interest worldwide in issues
  of long term preservation of sound recordings.  I wonder, did the
  CDR800 not sell enough units to remain a viable item?  I understand
  that they have abandoned a pro quality portable DAT machine as well in favor
  of minidisc.

  Anyway, I'm just venting because just when I'm
  ready to buy, the item I want is no longer available.  What else is
  new?!

  Thanks again to Jim W. and the others who
  responded.  I've also posted the message to the ARSC List.

  Steve Green
  Western Folklife Center Archives
  <A
  href="mailto:sgreen@westernfolklife.org";>sgreen@westernfolklife.org