RE: [AV Media Matters] Cleaning discs

The ARSC Journal article is by Chris Paton at Georgia State University. Contact: cpaton@gsu.edu

Linda Tadic
Getty Research Institute

>>> bsavage@stanford.edu 11/28/00 09:44AM >>>

There is an article about cleaning "acetate discs" in an old issue of ARSC
Journal, (by the folks at Georgia State, I believe), which found that the
best thing was Kodak Lens Cleaner (a solution of Ammonium Carbonate).

Best,

Bob Savage
Media Preservation Unit
Stanford University Libraries
bsavage@stanford.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: C Linstead [mailto:Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca]
Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2000 7:40 PM
To: AV Media Matters
Subject: [AV Media Matters] Cleaning discs

A question on appropriate cleaning methods:

We are in the process of recording the content of phonograph discs on CDR.
The discs are cellulose nitrate. The placticizer has migrated out and has
broken down into palmitic acid. It looks waxy, but under a microscope it
looks crystalline.

By what method should the disc be cleaned of this residue?

Any direct or linked information, on or off list, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cheryl.

Cheryl Linstead
Audio-Visual Records Curator, BC Archives
Information, Science and Technology Agency
Phone: (250) 387-2959  /  Fax: (250) 387-2072
Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm