[AV Media Matters] Re:hard-to-remove noise (was cassette tape shelf life?)

>Richard - What you say makes sense, and re-mastered CD are sometimes not
>much better than the original recordings.

Or worse, sadly. There are several examples in the Joan Baez archive that
are horrid--I'm still looking for a still-sealed vinyl copy of "David's
Album" to make into a CDr for my listening enjoyment.

>I've been working on restoring
>some of Rachmaninoff's recordings and I'm finding what sounds like lathe
>or cutting noise on both the LPs and the CDs. I haven't been really
>successful in getting rid of it. It seems to be centered at about 150 Hz
>and is very broad band. Have you any goods words and suggestions about
>this sort of problem. I've tried just about every filter known to man
>without real success.

You have received two good suggestions. I am not immediately familiar with
the Sonic Solutions No Noise, but Sonic is a great product. The UREI little
dipper will remove bands, but is not noise-specific.

I used Sekd Samplitude 2496 (tho not at those rates) and it has a noise
reduction algorithm. Now, I would not suggest that this be used for the
archival copy 'cause many archivists think the noises are as interesting as
the music, but for release for enjoyment, I'd consider something like this.

If you can isolate a sample of the noise alone, it will subtract it from
the signal. Results vary, but it's another type of tool. I am amazed at how
much noise and grunge the noise-removal software (clicks too with click
removal software) can be removed with only moderate impact on the music.

Your mileage may vary. Send me a short sample on CD and I'll see if I get
anywhere if you'd like...please include the noise alone if you've got
it...or it won't work.

Cheers,

Richard