RE: [AV Media Matters] Sticky Tape

Steve Smolian
smolians@erols.com said to the AV-Media list...
On the subject: Sticky Tape

>After years of 100% recovery from tape with sticky-shed syndrome, I've
>had my first failures.  Long baking didn't help.
You may have a case of "dry squeal", a problem caused by dry-out of the
original surface lubricant that the manufacturer included in the tape's
oxide formulation.  No amount of baking will do anything for this problem.

>The person for whom I was baking says he heard something about a naptha
>spray (that's naptha, not napster.)  Anyone have experience with such a
>process or others which might allow one further play?
FWIW: It's not naptha, not napster, but naphtha!

After baking, and otherwise where needed, I use naphtha and a Q tip for
removing sticky residue from bad splices where it has oozed over the edge
of the tape to adjacent layers which, unattended, will cause an audio
glitch while playing.  This is the first time I've heard of anyone trying
to use it to compensate for sticky-shed or dry squeal.

After discussing the matter of surface lubrication with the former owners
of the Kramer Magnetics tape manufacturer here in Toronto, it seems that
you could re-lubricate the surface with a suitable applicator and use
the same GE silicone lubricant that the manufacturers used.  There is some
question as to whether the specific aged tape surface would absorb the
lubricant, but it should at least allow a few good plays.  I have built a
special head assembly for the specific purpose of playing tapes in this
condition.

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.