Re: [AV Media Matters] old phonograph records

Yes Michael,

You have once again suggested that less than thorough cleaning is just
fine.  Your advice wrt Diamond Discs is contrary to the repeated comments
made by a very respected DD authority at ARSC meetings that you
attended,.as well as the remarks of numerous individuals who have actual
experience with water based cleaning protocols.  Nevertheless you continue
to pass on misinformation.  Alcohol wiping of DDs is a poor excuse for
quality cleaning.  Shame on you.  Records are actually more than
collector's artifacts or academic's fodder.

An effective solution to this person's needs would have been to suggest
borrowing the best tools available for the task, not to suggest wasting
time on mediocre methods.  Alternately a request for help in cleaning these
4 discs would have been better met by suggesting that someone on the list
who uses better tools might offer to safely & thoroughly clean these discs
for a modest charge.

Perhaps you'll someday actually hear the difference better cleaning makes
and actually realize the full quality of many of these recordings.

Cheers,

Duane Goldman

Moderators Comment:
Sometimes being a moderator of this list is a great job - and then there are
other times like now. The purpose of this list is an exchange of ideas
between professionals - and in that exchange there is likely to be
differences of opinion. This is healthy and desirable. In many of the issues
that are discussed in this list there are few right or wrong answers, but
there certainly are different opinions.... this too is healthy. But there is
a difference with disagreeing with a posting and a personal attack.
Disagreements that include information are very useful to us all. Personal
attacks are not, and are specifically forbidden in the rules of this list.

So what do I do with a posting like this? Post or not post?  I have chosen
to post it on the basis that it does include ADDITIONAL INFORMATION that
represents a different point of view, and for that reason is of some merit -
but it clearly walks across the line of a personal attack on a number of
occasions, which is not acceptable. For the record I will allow 1 (as in
ONE) rebuttal from Michael and that will be it unless there are some more
useful, factual, and dare I say more FRIENDLY aspects to these postings. I
for one learned quite a bit from Michaels posting and found it well thought
out and had many good ideas that I am glad he shared... I appreciate him
taking the time to write the posting. Many of us on this list come from
different areas of expertise and do not have as great a knowledge in certain
areas that we may not be called upon to work in, so it is hard for us to
evaluate which techniques are preferred for different media in different
situations - and believe it or not some things that work on one media type
have never been tried on others and may actually be of great value to the
community. This "cross fertilization"
of ideas is very important - but it cannot happen in an environment where
people who offer their ideas must fear a personal and very public attack in
front of their peers (and in some cases in front of their clients who are on
this list too).

Many of the members of this list are passionate in their work and beliefs -
that is great and those of you who know me personally know that I have great
passion for this work as well. BUT - Attacking others publicly for their
different opinions is unacceptable, and those who practice personal attacks
in postings  will soon find that they are not being posted and they will
force me into a position where I will be forced to remove them from the
list, and I REALLY don't want to do that or be the policeman. If nothing
else have pity for me and understand that this type of thing puts the
moderator in a very difficult position.

Your humble List Moderator.... anyone want this job?

Jim Lindner

--
h. duane goldman, ph.d.   |   P.O. Box 37066   St. Louis, MO  63141
lagniappe chem. ltd.            |   (314) 205 1388 voice/fax/modem