Re: [AV Media Matters] old phonograph records

MJScott@archives.state.al.us wrote:
>We have 3 Edison Diamond Discs and 1 blue-label Columbia
>Graphophone Record which are very dirty.  Does anyone have any
>advice on what would be the best method for cleaning them?
>Mary Jo Scott    Alabama Dept. of Archives and History

While the suggestions given by my pals Joe Salerno and Graham Newton
are quite fine--they did not take into account that you are talking
about ONLY FOUR RECORDS.  You certainly do not need to go to any
elaborate methods, expensive machines, special fluids and brushes
that are sometimes discussed here.

But most importantly, the earlier answers forgot to tell you a VERY
important piece of information.  You NEED to know that these two
different types of discs need radically different materials.  It is
suggested NOT to use water with Edison discs but to wipe the
surfaces with alcohol.  You do not want water or other liquids to
get into the core of the record, some of which were made of wood
pulp.  BUT ALCOHOL MUST NEVER BE USED ON ANY OTHER 78!!!  A trace of
mild liquid dishwashing detergent in water can be used for these.
Try to keep the label dry, and make sure you dry the record
thoroughly.

Sure, there are specially formulated cleaning fluids and special
brushes made, but for only four records you are better off with just
this simple method.  A good basic brush to get into the grooves
while cleaning are the rectangular replacement painter pads used on
painting-edgers.  They are about 3x4 inches.  They come in packs of
two, so you can use one for water and the other for alcohol.  But
you must NOT use fluids designed for vinyl LPs like Discwasher
becuase these might contain a trace of alcohol, and this will
immediately ruin the Columbia and all other 78s other than Edison
Diamond Discs.

Michael Biel  m.biel@morehead-st.edu