Re: [AV Media Matters] Compression

Commenting on Anthony Gardner's post, is it ever possible to
duplicate anything at "100% of the original quality"?  I'm not
saying it's necessary, just wondering out loud.  It seems like
writings (words) are the only things that can be perfectly
replicated.  But then, they are almost inherently digital...

Mr. Gardner said:
>I am surprised that anyone even contemplates preservation of film by
>SDTV transfer

Film "preservation" and video transfer are certainly two different
things.  HDTV MAY change that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Access on video, of course.  But as long as it is still feasible to
print from film to film, I'm not sure why suggest "preservation" on
any video or data format.  (Anymore than I would suggest someone
preserve video on film.)

>There is good business money out there in these archives.

Hmmm, maybe this is skewing this conversation too much.  There are
some of us on this list that work at archives.  And while I -- for
one -- want to be taken seriously as a potential customer, I don't
want to feel like a salesman is trying to rush me into some
short-term solution.  And insult me and my views about compression
in the process.

With all due respect 8^).

Scott Allen
sallen@gwm.sc.edu