Re[2]: [AV Media Matters] The Functions and Science of 'CD

Hi Jim

Jim> Anyone who knows anything about attorneys knows what I really
Jim> meant.

Quite so :-)

Jim> My personal experience is with magnetic tape but I questioned
Jim> manufacturers of laser discs when they were first introduced and
Jim> I got the answer that moisture would not be a problem.

I have had pretty much the same response.

Jim> P.S. A friend of mine has been burning CDs for
Jim> years--professionally. He claims that Turtle wax is good for
Jim> eliminating small scratches on CDs. It is only mildly abrasive. I
Jim> would run tests on a couple of unwanted CDs before trying
Jim> anything on a CD you want to preserve.

I didn't know Turtle wax was abrasive anyway - must be very mild, I
would think.  Of course, it may be the wax is filling the scratches
and effectively hiding them.  I doubt if it is a very practical
long-term solution, but who knows?  The whole thing seems to depend on
the phase of the moon anyway!

I have certainly used toothpaste in the past - although I like to
think we use a slightly more professional approach these days - even
if the results are largely empirical.

Graeme Jaye

Graeme Jaye

gjaye@retemail.es