Re: [AV Media Matters] Print-through - progress of technology? &

A comment.  Recorders are supposed to replicate the sound captured on the
medium they are playing back.  Flat. Any involuntary improvements, no matter
how delightful, are wrong, so a tape recorder should not sound "better" than
others if all are professional level and well maintained.  The only
exception is in the wow and flutter characteristics- the big Nagra has
significantly better specs in this department than all others I've looked
at.  I've never owned, used or measured one, but their paperwork and
reputation is impressive.

Depending on the client's needs, voluntary improvements are another,
subjective matter.

Incidentally, relapping or changing heads is only solving part of the
machine ageing problem.  Dealing with the scrape flutter mechanism resolves
playback machine tape motion issues.

As many of you know, I also deal in old records-LPs and 78s.  Accurate
grading is essential.  The greatest improvement to any dealer's grading
accuracy has been when he gets a new eyeglass prescription.  Fixing scrape
flutter is, dare I say it, analogous.

Steve Smolian